Wool Valentine heart

Wool Valentine heart
Red wool heart

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21, 2011



Summer officially begins today, it already has by now, and it's all downhill from here. Don't mean to be negative, but I always think about the days getting shorter again, and we've had such a wet and cool spring, now wet and humid summer coming. I love summer, I was born in the summer, that's probably why I hardly ever wear shoes. Well, in the house anyway.

My header picture here changed now to one of my favorite flowers, the zinnia. It is named "Blaze" and would have grown to 3 feet. It's probably not even available anymore. The seed packet is an original that came out of a catalog my daughter bought at a garage sale several years ago. There were several seed packets in it, no seeds. These were to be shown to store buyers. The company is still operating in Faribault MN, my home town, and I actually grew up on the same block as the nursery. We lived in a corner house from the time I was 3, til I moved out after my wedding day, at age 19. The house was demolished a couple years ago, and now the area is used as a supply yard. I have stories to tell about that place, and I even worked there as a teen and again as an adult. This package is probably from the era of my youth, with it being 35 c. I use many of the seed packets as decor in my house, there are flowers and vegetables.

I now have orange zinnias all around my little garden, and in pots, because I bought 2 dozen of them. I had good luck with them last year, and wanted to have a whole border of them this year. They are called Profusion Orange, are small, grow only to 10-12". I have 4 in one pot, a little tight, but had leftovers, I put the picture above this post. Don't know why, but these flowers remind me of the sun, and the lion's mane. I am a Leo, born in July, and have always favored the sun and the lion, hmmmm. I'm not fierce, and hardly ever roar, but am family oriented and protective.

So, welcome, summer!! I will make it thru with ac and projects to keep me busy, family and friend get togethers, and quiet rides on the lake.



1 comment:

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Hi Karen, thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comment! Bri-wax is kinda hard to find. I have seen it at antique malls and woodworking stores only, it can't be found at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart. I hope you find it!

My birthday is the day before the first day of summer... June 20 so I know what you mean. =] Your flowers are beautiful! Talking about seed packets... I bought a wooden tray at Hobby Lobby for just a couple of dollars that has metal handles. I fell in love with the metal and just couldn't put the tray down so I am going to paint over it and glue seed packets to the tray part. I just need to hit our local feed store for some vintage packets. I might hold off now and see if I can find some really neat ones like you have, that would be so cool!

Have a delightful week~